Friday, July 15, 2011

Did you know...

that Mac's have some cool inbuilt features.
After searching the internet high and low on what I can use to video capture my computer screen without buying an app, I finally found out I have all I need to do just that already loaded on my iMac (I love Apple).
You can use Quicktime Player to record the activity on your screen with OR without sound/voice over AND it saves it as a .mov file which means it is easy to edit in iMovie (which comes loaded on the iMac) and upload to YouTube. I downloaded several of the free apps out there on the market and I wouldn't say that any of them are perfect. I used Jing yesterday and it is really easy to use and I loved it up until I realised I cannot upload the file to YouTube as it saves it as a .swf - pain in the butt, hence my ongoing search for an alternative.

Quick 'how to' -
Open Quicktime Player
Click on File in the menu and select New Screen Recording



Easy! If you want to add sound just click on the arrow in the bottom right corner and select the mic input and adjust the volume in the slide bar below the red record button. Just make sure that the volume on your speakers is turned down before you record otherwise you will end up with some wicked feedback :)


Digital Colour Meter is another app that comes standard on Macs. Ever wanted to know what the code for a certain colour was so you can reuse that colour? Digital Colour Meter will tell you.

Go to your Apps folder and click on the Utilities folder. This is where you will find Digital Colour Meter. Hover your mouse over the colour on your screen and it will tell you the colour value in several different formats.


I hope I have enlightened some of you, I will be back with more soon.